Saturday, March 6, 2010

Planning next year's WB~* Step one

You can use the Parent Guide planner to record the time spent on that resource to keep track of the hours.The course code is listed and can be used to keep track of learning towards high school credits.When n high school my high school students will leave the living books and begin to use high school BJU & Abeka books only in order to earn the Carnegie Unit of study.They can still read the living books for better understanding but all assignments will be done with high school text books. How to use the reporting website and also the course code keys http://ati.iblp.org/ati/family/curriculum/reporting/
Step 1: Set up the Reporting Data Base

The first thing I did last week was set up my school year on the Homeschooling Reporting website that is free for ATI families.What a blessing that is ! http://www.homeschoolreporting.com/ I put in the computer all the legal aged students.In Pa you do not have to school children until they are 8 so I do not school my children officially meaning keeping records until then so I do not put them in the system.So what I do is log days for elementary & Jr.High Students which is 180 days Pa law.Since Dominic is a freshman in high school next year 9th grade will begin to log hours using the course codes as my key. Up until high school since I just log days I never really payed attention to the Course codes but now the codes are a very valuable tool that will begin to use next year as I keep more detailed records that may one day be asked from a college.No big deal we will do what we always do home school with our Wisdom Booklets but now keep a more detailed log.So when after I set up each student I decided to use semesters 4 Wisdom Booklets per semester.I set up each subject for high school Bible, Math,Science etc.listed under Course Standards I listed all the course codes that I would consider credit for that class.Example of the course codes Bible:1000 Bible1010 Bible Doctrines1020 Bible History1030 Bible Prophecy1040 Bible LawBible which to a college would be considered an elective so anytime they are working in the Wisdom Booklet and we come across a Bible course code I count the hours towards that subject or elective class.Since they are in an adult Bible study at church I can also count that too, or maybe a Bible class at the co-op etc.It all gets logged under the elective Bible. Now Dominic is doing Apologia Biology on top of the WB which is full of Biology so when we come across course code 6530 in the WB count the time spent under Biology.I will have a General Science course listed separately as an elective that everything else will be placed under for credit.What have decided to do for the transcript is list the classes completed by credit which I will keep track.When they complete the required # of Carnegie Units I will then give them credit along with the grade for the transcript. I then will record it after the semester is completed on the Reporting website.
Carnegie Unit: (general guide)
*1 full credit = 120-150 hours
*1/2 credit = 60 hours
*1/4 credit = 30-40 hours
homeschooling High School with the WB: school for example 1/2 unit if U.S Government is recommended for high school Social Science so in 9th grade my student may get 1/4 credit from the law resources and 1/4 credit in 10th grade working through the WB. which would get the 1/2 credit recommended of U.S.Government.

The important thing is having a focus and when planning the school the year so I begin by deciding what my focus is and set it up on the reporting website then using the WB course codes as a tool to keep track of the time spent.They can easily get 2-3 hours per subject each day between doing the WB as a family then the independent research etc.As you begin to keep track of the time you will see earning hghschool credits usng the WB is an easy goal to reach it is just a matter of keepng good records.
~*Praise the Lord ATI equips you with the needed tools to be successful.Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your blog! What a blessing this is. We arer a new ATI family and I have been searching for ATI moms explaining things like you do. I went on the reporting site but can't find where to sign up to have it for free? Do you have a link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family was on the ATI curriculum for over 10 years. My husband is preaching for three Sunday's at our church and he was wanting to draw some analogies using the eye and eye problems. I remember that in WB #1 they spoke of the eye problems. Would you mind emailing me what they were along with their analogies? I remember this being excellent information and my husband was hoping to use some of it for his sermons. Sherri piechnik@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected