Friday, August 22, 2014

Mystery of History ~* Timeline Book

     One one reasons I decided to do Mystery of History with my elementary kids was learning history through in a chronological order. I fell in love with idea of making a timeline so they could see history . MOH in the front of the book has detailed instructions on how to make a large timeline. We decided to make a timeline book. They store easy on the shelf and each of my kids can personalize their own timeline.This is how we did it.












I purchased each of my students a bound sketchbook from Michael' s the arts & crafts store. I was able to use a teachers discount :)  This should easily last a year possibly two years since we are trying to use one page per week. Except Nehemiah who is in 2nd grade so he can have more room.


    I own Illuminations software that is designed to go with Mystery of History & one of the things it has is what timeline figures to use. You can easily figure this out just looking at the years if you are using History through the ages timeline figures or just stick with the timeline figures that you studied for the week in Mystery of history.
   I use a few things to make our timeline. They are History through the Ages timeline figures, Draw & Write Through History, their own drawings, index cards, & printing images from the internet. Since there is so much garbage on the internet I look & print the images while they are busy working on the timeline drawing or coloring etc. You can make your own figures or get these ones Nehemiah is using for his timeline that are free created by a homeschool mom to share. They are shown above in the red folder and be found at: www.myhomeschoolprintables.net
 
We complete the drawing lessons right in the timeline book. Since my kids always ruin my small dry erase boards I placed a piece of card-stock in a sleeve protector and use it with a clip board. When I am done I place it in my mom's notebook to use again next week. It works great & is a cheap fix for a whiteboard. 
 Our history of course begins with creation! I love how they learn that dinosaurs were created on day 5 & 6,
With Nehemiah's I was able to find the story of Adam & Eve that he could put in order on his timeline. It was a great sequencing story activity to include with his timeline. You can add anything mini-books etc. That is a the fun advantage I think of the timeline books. They each have their own story of history to tell.
    This is Job's book. Last week I had them write some facts they thought were interesting on an index card. We then added it to the timeline. This week we just did timeline pictures & figures since we were doing a lapbook on dinosaurs. As you could see since we studied dinosaurs this week we added a picture of dinosaurs entering the ark. They also like the movie Ice Age so I printed out some pictures to add to the page. It was interesting when they realized the ice age really happened in history.
 This is Nehemiah's to compare a younger child's timeline book. Each page is a lesson. He will do two pages per week while the older two will do one page per week.
If you have a fun way to do timelines or something your family enjoys to show history in time I would love to hear about it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected