Monday, August 18, 2014

Mystery of History ~* taking notes / reading the lesson

Click here for Mystery of History
I made some changes since I planned my history. My Jr.high & high-school students are doing Biblioplan Ancient history with the Mystery of History spine while my elementary students will be doing MOH Ancients year 1 only this year. I will explain why I made this decision  in another post.
    Today I wanted to focus on how I read the MOH lessons together with my elementary students.
   I made them each history folders to place in their workboxes.Click here to see how I use workboxes On the left side I place all the worksheets or notebooking pages we will complete throughout the week. In the center I copy all the MOH lessons we will cover in the week and place them in the plastic sheet protectors. We take turns reading each  paragraph out loud, one paragraph at a time. We stop after each paragraph and I ask them what information do they think is important. We discuss and they underline the information with a dry erase marker, one that has the tip the size of a smaller marker. We are always looking for Who,What, When, Why, and How. The sheet protectors wipe off & can be used for next weeks lesson.
  There are a few benefits to doing our MOH lessons this way. One is we read small bits and it gives them a chance to comprehend what they have just read. Secondly, it gets them in a habit of note-taking and finding important information with out all the writing . Finally, when they go to notebook or fill out a worksheet they can find the information easier if they need to refer back to the lesson for information or spelling.My two students that are doing this is in 4th & 6th grade.
 Nehemiah in 2nd grade listens while we read & answers orally what he thinks is important to remember or tells the story back to me. He colors while listening. As you can see he only colored Noah's Ark today because we will be covering the Ice Age & Dinosaurs the rest of the week so he will color those items later on in the week. Both the questions, notebooking pages, and coloring pages I print from

The Mystery of History - Super Supplemental Collection click here to purchase 

 We do the recommended pretest at the beginning of the week. This is more interesting for me as the teacher to see what they know. I will compare it to the quiz at the end of the week. This is placed in the side of the folder with the rest of the notebooking pages ,quizzes , maps etc. I hope this helps,


No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected