Monday, May 16, 2011

organizing clothes for large families!

For the first time in many years I am able to keep up with my laundry because of the organizational system I came up with that has taken the stress laundry to be gone! Here were my problems:



  1. old house with no closets

  2. many children & 2 adults ( talking clothes!)

  3. clothes hanging out of dressers

  4. could not tell how many play clothes or good clothes we had

  5. blessings continually coming in via hand me downs & birthday gifts etc.

  6. carrying laundry baskets up and down stairs then sorting then putting away

  7. not knowing easily what clothes the kids had or needed (they may have 1 pair pf good pants and 20 play for example)

  8. need more room in the boys rooms

I have finally addressed all of these problems :O) Now this laundry system may not work in every home but I thought I would share to either spark your own idea or help you.Here is what I did ......




I purchased a clothes organizer for each child. My daughter has one in her room since she is the only girl she has her own closet. They come in different colors. I found a good quality canvas with cedar support but I could not find the link again. Here is one on Amazon so you know what I am talking about but I can't tell you the quality. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F51ADU?tag=closetsideas-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B001F51ADU&adid=1K6DAZK5T1R7PMPZFG46&&
Google search them out and find ones that work for you.You can also build permanent ones out of wood which we plan on doing after these wear. I originally was going to have each compartment for one day a week.A set of play clothes and a set of good clothes.Since we homeschool they mostly wear play clothes which is great! The problem I found was especially the younger kids would grab good clothes for play.So I decided to have the top 3 compartments good clothes and the bottom three play clothes. My hubby hung up a aluminum bar up for me to hang them on in the laundry room. So after they were hung up I took all of the clothes out of the dressers and placed them in the organizational system. We then threw away the dressers (were worn and not worth saving) That gave room in the boys room & no more carrying clothes up stairs to the bedroom! Since it is the change of season here in PA I purchased clear containers and packed them with the winter clothes to place in the attic. I kept a few cold season clothes since we are between in weather. I did not pull out the summer clothes yet so we have a 50/50 mix of warm clothes but most of the winter is put away.


I purchased a clear container to put the sweatshirts and pants in that will not go into the attic for when the hot weather is officially here so I can use them on cool nights or in between the next season change. This way they are easily to access without going into the attic. I also have a laundry basket under the organization system for the donations to the Salvation Army or Good Will etc. As I filled up my organization system I was able to see what the kids had and kept the best play clothes. I threw away what was excess but not nice enough to to keep. I got rid of so much clothing this way and was able to keep what we need and be able to bless others. Another advantage was the kids can see what they have and all ages can go and grab new clean clothes for play etc.When we go places I can easily find their good clothes. We do have one closet)cabinet in the boys room for their Sunday shirts & pants.


We placed the organizational system in the laundry room.I have a table to throw the clean clothes if I do not have time to fold but most of the time I take the clothes straight out of the dryer fold and place them in the organizer. No more steps or sorting sizes!!!! Another advantage of the organizational system is it controls the amount of clothes we have so I can easily keep up with our laundry.We are so blessed in America that to many clothes can become a problem.Now I can focus on our needs and bless others without the over abundance. The last advantage is as a mom I can easily see my children's needs.Angelo needs some new good pants and with this system I can see easily what needs my children have and their needs.


Finally we have 3 laundry baskets


  1. dark clothes

  2. play work clothes (muddy)

  3. whites


Instead of hampers I purchased nice laundry baskets that you can even carry one handed so when someone sees one is full they can take it down to the laundry room to wash.Even Dad gladly helps! So finally after many years I am able to keep up laundry.Thank you Lord for all your blessing you are the great provider!!!!


I pray this helps or blesses you in some way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected