Monday, March 15, 2010

WB 22 History~ American Indians

We are reading the Life & Diary of David Brainerd as a read aloud which goes with our History recourse.We began the resource today and will read parts of it all week along with our read aloud.I will be spending this week studying North American Indians as our further study projects. Today we studied the North East Woodland Indians.
I taught a class at the co-op a while back about Native American Indians so I had some supplies on hand which was nice.Daniel m early elementary will be doing Draw Write now in his Primary notebook while Angelina (upper elementary)will be making a accordion lapbook using Teacher Created Materials Native American Arts & Cultures.The older will be going a writing assignment all week on Native American Indians.


I purchased Indian paper dolls from Tobin's lab for their lapbook & notebook.There is clothes each geographic area of Indians.
Each part of the accordion book has a color for each area.So she colors her map to match color section.I also purchased library pockets from Tobin's lab to hold the clothes.






















We also used animal stickers of woodland animals to decorate Daniels notebook.Since he does not plan to use the Indian paper dolls to play with he glued them on the notebook to shoe types of Woodland Indian head dresses.

Angelina made this longhouse at the beginning of the school year for my PA Keystones class so it worked great for our lesson.She dressed her paper dolls with the Woodland Indians clothes. To make the longhouse we used cardboard (cereal boxes work great) then put masking tape all over it in little short pieces.She then colored it with brown shoe polish this really makes it look like pieces of bark.She then glued small twigs on the house to make it look like the frame.

hole in the roof











2 comments:

  1. Good morning! I saw your link at the bottom of your post to the WS group. I am loving your blog! We are a new ATI family this year. What wonderful ideas you have for "adding flavoring to" the WBs. I have been rather dry with ours so far but see how much more I can be offering our precious son with them. Though he (me, too!) is soaking up everything in the WBs I am seeing how I can offer him so much more.
    We are only on our first WB. I am going quite slow with the first one as I learn all there is in them and working to see what I can do with them, etc....
    Thank you for sharing. What a blessing!
    Have a beautiful day and I will enjoy looking around some more.
    Because He calls,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet, It is always fun to meet other ATI moms.I LOVE the Wisdom Booklets too! They are our favorite part of the day.Thank you for the encouragement I am happy I am a blessing to you.The Lord is good.

    ReplyDelete

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected