Thursday, September 18, 2014

Using Reference Charts for Dictation or Narration ~McGuffey Readers as an Example


  We completed our dictation at the end of our week's lesson. After they are done with the dictation I check it with the student and go over the mistakes comparing it to the original. I posted yesterday examples of the reference charts and where to purchase.
   Punctuation & Capitalization ~* One of the things Job missed was his punctuation. Placing commas in a series of words. So I pulled out the Language Arts reference chart for 3-4 graders since he is in 4rth grade and we go over the punctuation rule. I then write on a post it note the spelling words and punctuation rules for next week for him to master. We will continue until he masters these topics. My Jr. High / Highschool students cover these rules daily using Easy Grammar.
      Choosing what to work on for the next week ~* I only choose 5-10 spelling words a week and choose the most important words for them to learn. If they have multiple punctuation or capitalization errors I only choose one to focus on. We will have plenty of time to cover the other rules. My goal its master one at a time. My kids do better learning through mastery.
 Here is an example of Angelo using the 5/6 grade Language Arts reference Chart. He did not capitalize words in his title. So that is what I will look for each week in his dictation until he masters that rule. He did remember the rule we learned at the beginning of the week using a comma  following a name.


Spelling ~* I list all we need to work on the post it note for next weeks lesson. After I choose the spelling words I look to see what spelling rules they need to work on. I grab my spelling reference chart and mark the rules we are going to work on all next week.
Here is a picture of my post it note. I have them look at the spelling word daily, close their eyes to see the word , then orally spell the word. We do this each day along with discussing the spelling rule. One day a week they may write the words 3 times or so for extra practice.


I own Christ Centered Phonics cards that have spelling rules on the back of the card. click here to if interested in the Christ Centered Phonics cards.I use these for Nehemiah since he is in 2nd grade for his spelling or if I notice he needs to tackle a phonogram in his reading.

Phonics/Reading ~* The Logic of English phonogram chart is great to use if they are reading out loud and you notice they are struggling with a certain phonogram. I mark it down and note it on the post it note.


Here is an example of the spelling rule under phonics application. You can use whatever tools you have with your child's dictation lessons.

Parts of Speech ~* We use Easy Grammar lessons to teach the parts of speech so I don't cover that with the McGuffey readers. It is taught separately.


   Since I posted the reference charts I use yesterday I thought I would share how I use them.
  You don't have to use them for just McGuffey readers but any type of dictation or narration work you are doing. I plan on posting how you can use this for your narration work in the history notebooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected