Monday, March 3, 2014

Mealworm farm

I love science especially Biology. I have started a mealworm farm. What a great way to teach insect life cycles while your family benefits. The mealworms & beetles we produce will be for the chickens during the winter when they can't free range as well as my pet turtles. The guys can also benefit when they go fishing.
I placed a life cycle chart on the sides. This also helps with less dusting :) while educating. The top chart shows how to move the mealworms through each stage which is why there are three drawers.  There are many great videos on Youtube and websites how to raise mealworms.  We own horses so I will be using the flaked oats as bedding since we will tons of it but you can use cornmeal or oats for the food/ bedding.
Vegetables and fruits keeps them hydrated as week as food. I have a tortoise so the left over  food she doesn't will go to the ,mealworms & chickens.

Another fun school science project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected