Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Baby chicks Plymouth Barred Rocks

Another school project :) Our baby chicks are here! As you can see Titus is so proud of these little chickens. I love Plymouth Barred Rocks. So the entire flock all 16 (1 rooster) are all Barred rocks. I think they are the most beautiful, friendly, meat/egg, & cold hardy chicken. They are my favorite. Last night the temperatures dropped to 0-4 degrees so I was concerned about them being shipped but they all arrived healthy.



They came in a small box with heat packs and the cutest nesting material in the shape of a nest.
I purchased them from My Pet Chicken. The larger hatchery require 25 so I ordered from My Pet Chicken who has a minimum order of 15. We plan to sell 6 and keep 10.
The kids each get a baby chick so here they are claiming their chicken.
We love the Christy series of a mission and a schoolhouse in the Appalachian  Mountains.So I named my chicks after the characters in the TV series/book.I thought it was appropriate since we are a one room school house & love missions.
So I named my Rooster ~* Birdseye
My chicks~* Rubymay, Christy, Mrs. Alice, Fair-light, Opal
The kids named their chicks~* Miriam, Angel, Nya, Barbie 
The older kids are not interested. I can remember their excitement at this age when their baby chicks came. 
I can't wait for eggs!!! What is your favorite kind of chicken?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected