Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lapbooks & Mini-Booklets

I erased this picture below when discussing the high school material but I thought it was important enough to add it even though it is not in order.So you can see it.What my Jr.High Students or high school students will learn to do is use this along with their BJU texts or book and the assignment from the Wisdom Booklets assignments to sit down and research.If they do not want to make mini-books or flaps n their notebook they can still use this to organize their writing and get them started.
It is also good to train them to notice titles & sub-titles in whatever book they are studying to use as a tool to organize their writing when researching.They can make mini-books or organize their writing that way too.You can also use the questions at the end of the chapter to make mini-books.

What are Mini-Booklets anyway???
These two Dinah Zike books are a must have tool if you are going to make mini-books.They explain, teach, and give great examples.If you could only afford one book to get started the Big Book of Books would be the first book to purchase.I am more of a notebooking type of teacher but I love mini-books so don't just limit these to lapbooks!

When I joined ATI.We were given a sheet on how to make a lapbook and in the ATI handbook Dinah Zike's materials were recommended as a tool.I then went to an ATI home and a ATI family showed me examples of a Wisdom Booklet Lapbook I was amazed at the creativity and more importantly how it gave God the glory.I have looked at many lapbooks and they are fun and creative ways to display knowledge but what I love about the Wisdom Booklets lapbooks is reflect the word of God and the heart/character lessons that flow from the Wisdom Booklets.So if you are using the Wisdom Booklets keep that focus in mind what an awesome way to give a testimony of Christ showing others your finished lapbook.

These Dinah Zike books are awesome tools too and worth investing in my opinion.It s a great tool to help you decide just what information does an elementary student put in a mini-book.


The beginning of the book does teach how to make mini-books too.In the back of the elementary books there are also graphics for you to use.







Lapbooks & Mini-Booklets are great but what can I do with my older student who is not interested in a lapbook???? Now for the Jr.High & High school students these are great!!! You can use the Notebook fold able book for elementary kids too.This new book by Dinah Zike is an answer to prayer as I am preparing my oldest son for highschool next year.He will be continuing the Wisdom Booklets but I wanted something that is not to kiddish and has the ease of writing since he will be doing much more next year.The Notebook fold ables is an answer to prayer.God is so good to equip you for what He has called you to do! Dinah Zike has a Big Book of Science, American History, & World History books that my son can use as a guide when he does his research.




******************************
The clever little flaps eliminate putting bulky mini-books in a notebook while giving him lines to write on for his research.This allows him to organize his thoughts with the mini-booklet mindset and allow room for writing. This book also is great for someone who enjoys notebooking verses lapbooking.

Inside the Big Book of Scence for example if he would study thermal energy for example he would grab the recommended BJU book from his Wisdom Booklet and here is a list of highschool/Jr.High requirements he needs to study and how to organize it.




What is a lapbook anyway????












Mini-books filed by student in small organizer .These mini-books were for free from the internet.Currclick http://www.currclick.com/ is a great place to purchase pre-made mini-books.Or you can make your own very easly if you have the Dinah Zikes Big Book of Books.These mini-booklets are placed in the lapbook.
.... a lapbook










Packing tape is used to add the extensions.You can go in any direction and even use more file folders.It is best to make the lapbook after the study s complete so you can design it to fit everything.I am going ahead of my self to show as an example but i would normally not do it this way.







So this lapbook does not get too bulky I used color paper here because it is thinner to add color to the inside of the file folder.Again you can paint or use fancy paper.An example would be if this is the Medicine Resource section heart, I could grab cute heart paper since Valentines day just past etc.




Here I added extra flaps inside of the folder with card stock because it is stronger to hold the mini-books.As you can see I keep my scraps and they can be used.







Tools I use to scrapbook:

3M spray found in the paint section you must use outside this stuff is strong, lies flat and is great for covering the file folders with papers etc.At the end of the Wisdom Booklet or study it is great to spray all the mini-booklets in.A time saver that makes your lapbook look nice without the mess of Elmer's glue or things coming out from glue sticks.




I also use packing tape my e to add extentions another time saver.


Here is a little organizer I use to place my mini-booklets in as I go through the study.You can use anything.You can also use cereal boxes and even decorate them to store the lapbooks.I will be decorating it with things from WB21 since it will be storing lapbooks from WB21 but you can just leave it plain.Every now & then I let my kids get junk cereal so I can use the cardboard from the cereal boxes.




The foundation of your lapbook begins with something like a file folder.For a file folder you simply open it up then fold the ends so they meet in the middle Ideas:


  • use colored file folders

  • use fancy file folders

  • spray paint file folders

  • cover folders with fancy scrapbook paper,colored paper, or pictures

  • you can use large time lines that open up as your base instead of a file folder

  • you can also use a simple pocket folder
If you want watch a video and purchase these tools Tobin's lab has a great DVD that she takes you through and teaches you how to lapbook.I watch it over and over again to get my creative juices flowing.There are some really great samples on that video.http://www.tobinslab.com/She also sells all the Dinah Zike products.Click on lapbook on her website.

This post is for a mom on the Wisdom Searcher group who asked how do the ATI moms do lapbooks.I will display the finshed lapbook samples when it is complete so you can see the final steps of ....mini-booklets >>>> lapbook>>>>decorate >>> give God the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected