Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Math U See , Unit Test ~mastering math


   Today Nehemiah took his Math test at the end of his lesson. He missed both review problems concerning rounding off numbers to the nearest ten. This was the same lesson we spent 2 weeks on mastering early. So today it was obvious he didn't master this lesson. Math U See is a mastery program but it also has review and a unit test after so many lessons to check and make sure they mastered the lessons they have learned.
   So I went back to the Math U See website and printed off some rounding to 10 worksheets that we will do all week. Since he loves video games I think I will find an online Math game to also help practice.

 Here he is working on the worksheets & a sample of his completed work sheet. I will continue working with him and keeping an eye on him mastering this concept.
 He completed his unit test and got all of the rounding off problems  right.I know he just reviewed this information from missing the problems on the last lesson test so I really won't count this as mastering this skill. The beauty of homeschooling is knowing your child by personally working with them and using the tests as a tool. If I just went by the test it would appear he mastered the skill but as his mom checking his math everyday and knowing his struggles I am able to keep mentoring him in mastering his weak areas. He passed everything else in the unit test so I won't hold him back but add rounding to the nearest ten to our current lessons .
Since he is done with the unit test. I will remove all the extra worksheets on the back of his folder and place them in a separate folder to make room for new extra worksheets for the next unit.
                                   I am loving Math U See!!
  We used Teaching Textbooks for years and I found so many wholes in their Math using the spiral method teaching math that I have found teaching math with the mastery approach is the best way for my family to learn math.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected