Friday, August 29, 2014

Mystery of History week 3 Sumerians book basket

These were the books we read this week for week Mystery of History. Monday through Wed. they read the 3 stories of Gilgamesh.Thursday they read the Tower of Babel, and today they read from the book First Civilizations.
 In the Epic of Gilgamesh there is a great flood, great ark, and a serpent.
 This was the reason for our telephone game yesterday as we looked at the time between the flood & the Sumerian Civilization. It also was a quick review of when we studied the flood last week and watched a film on how there are stories recorded of the flood in different civilizations around the world. Each different as they have been passed down through time.


This is the pop-up book the Tower of Babel. As you can see there is not a pop for every page but one at the top of the book you can look at the Tower as you change each page. I really liked how my youngest son Nehemiah from this picture realized the frustration and confusion from the languages being confused.



This the inside of The Sumerians Book. I read it outloud today to them. I really liked this book. There is more in the series.


They read a few pages on the Sumerians from the First Civilization book today.

I would not recommend this book.My older kids were reading it  and I am grateful they brought the book to me to make me aware of what was in the book! It had some some parts in it I felt was unappropriated. We  had another Epic of Gilgamesh book too that we threw away. I wanted to make you aware to look over these books before you hand them to your students and make your own decision. The children's version above however did not have any of the questionable material. I am kinda spoiled with the books recommended by the Wisdom Booklets have always been trust worthy as they were mostly faith building or missionary books.
I still don't know how I feel about the myths with my younger kiddos. I know that is a big debate in the Christian circles. I am ok with my older more mature students but will pray about the little guys. I prefer stories that build character and encourage Godly character. They did seem to like the stories. My concern was especially for Nehemiah who is 7 and was asking me when reading the stories of Gilgamesh if they were real. I certainly don't want to cause him confusion when it comes to the real living God & myths of ancient cultures.

They loved learning this week that Abraham was a Sumerian! So this week we learned about the culture and beliefs he lived in and will look at in a few weeks when God called him out of Ur. We are enjoying the Mystery of History lessons putting all the pieces of history together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorite blogs :O)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected